Senior Manager, Clean Vehicles
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization working with the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Manager, Clean Vehicles will play a key role in building utility and company support for clean vehicles as well as working with influential investors and companies to advance clean transportation policies at the state and federal levels. The Senior Manager will focus on encouraging companies to increase the use of electric vehicles (EVs) in their fleet, promote employee EV purchases and installation of workplace charging stations; support policies that advance clean transportation; and produce analytical materials that make the business case for clean transportation. This position will support coordination efforts to engage investors with companies, especially electric power companies, in accelerating their commitment to clean vehicles. The Senior Manager will work closely with investors in the Ceres Investor Network on Climate Risk and Sustainability. The network comprises more than 130 institutional investors, collectively managing more than $17 trillion in assets, advancing leading investment practices, corporate engagement strategies and policy solutions. This is a full-time position based in our Boston office and will report to the Director, Transportation.
Specific duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design and implement cross-organizational strategy to boost private sector deployment of clean vehicles – with a particular focus on EVs – working in close coordination with the director of transportation and in collaboration with the Ceres Investor, Company and Policy Networks, and the California team.
- Collaborate with Ceres Investor Network to support investors on engagement with utilities and other companies, and to unleash investor support for clean transportation
- Support Ceres transportation team and the Ceres Company Network with regard to engaging companies to build support for, and enable, clean transportation goals and investments
- Collaborate with Policy and California teams on state and federal clean transportation incentives and policies
- Represent Ceres in connection with external partnerships and at strategic convenings and events regarding clean transportation
- Conduct research on clean transportation, with a particular focus on the business case, opportunities, and public policy context for investors and companies
- Partner with Ceres’ Director of Shareholder Engagement, drafting memoranda, letters and other resources making the business case for investor and corporate leadership on clean transportation as a cost-effective strategy for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and addressing climate change
- Work with the Ceres communications team to draft online reports and other content including press releases and statements, op-eds and blogs, and social media.
- Coordinate with Ceres’ Development team to develop fundraising proposals to support Ceres’ clean transportation work
- Co-supervise consultants and interns, including hiring, training, conducting reviews and supporting professional development
- Undertake some shared administrative work such as tracking company engagements, collecting success stories, tracking corporate commitments, and preparing minutes for meetings and conference calls.
- Minimum of seven years of work experience in a related field - experience in transportation and clean vehicles preferred;
- Bachelor degree required and advanced degree preferred;
- Knowledge of, and experience related to climate change, clean transportation, EVs and corporate sustainability issues;
- Understanding of the role of business and the financial sector/investment community;
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, superior leadership ability, strong initiative and motivation;
- Successful record of organizing and executing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong advocacy or campaign experience preferred;
- Excellent research and online report and media writing skills;
- Experience supervising staff members or external consultants;
- Strong meeting facilitation and verbal communication skills;
- Experience working with the media and reporters and producing online content (statements, blogs, op-eds) a plus;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheet, Google Docs, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com